Wednesday 22 June 2011

Approaching you!

Now, I'm going to share an story with you.

I was working in one of the the worlds most infamous departments stores in London one Saturday morning! Now, before I go on, I feel it is important to point out that this store has a very aggressive and competitive selling style with a million different beauty houses..... ok, I'll continue.

A lady (I use the term, loosely) approached the counter I was working on and began browsing! No problem, so far. I left her to continue to look until she began trying eyeshadow colours on the back of her hand. Now, I am not a hard seller and so I always approach with caution. Well, I was like a lamb to the slaughter. This is how the conversation panned out.

Me: Hi, is there a specific colour your looking for there?


Her: I'LL TELL YOU WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR, I'LL TELL YOU WHAT I FANATISE ABOUT (I'd rather you didn't) I'D LIKE TO BE LEFT ALONE IN THIS STORE TO DO MY SHOPPING WITHOUT BEING BUGGED BY SALES ASSISTANTS.


Me: Ok no problem, I'll leave you to it. (I begin to walk away but she hasn't quite finished devouring me yet)


Her: IT HAPPENS EVERYTIME I COME INTO THIS STORE. IT'S F***ING RIDICULOUS. (now you see why I used the term lady very loosely)

Now, there are a few things that really get my goat..... One is stupidity, two is swearing at me and three is rude customers and this woman was all three. Oh, the things that I wanted to say to her!

Hey there stupid, maybe it's an idea not to come back to this store then.
Hey there stupid, maybe you should try boots down the road it you want self service.
I'm sorry madam, have you just caught your husband in bed with you best friend?

But of course, I smiled sweetly and and said "I'll be over here if you need me".

Now, trust me, I know it can be annoying to be approached by millions of "sales assistants" as you are shopping for cosmetics but I'd like to give you our side of the story. We are being watched by some pretty terrifying department managers, I kid you not. Especially in the larger, London based stores. Also, due to it being such a competitive market, we are being mystery shopped constantly and they mark you down if you don't approach a customer within 20 secs. And believe it or not, I've seen people loose their jobs for less. Crazy huh? You see we're just trying to keep everyone happy.

So, next time you think about going shopping, don't take you're frustrations out on the girls behind the counter, they have a hard enough time. Either, go to a smaller, less proactive store or just smile and say "just looking at the moment". We will leave you alone, well most of us will.

Happy shopping! xx

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't do that job. I would bite their heads off, chew them up and spit them back out again. That is why I work on my own in a little room away from 'The Public'.

    xx

    ReplyDelete